Celebrate Spring during Bayfield in Bloom!
May 16 through June 15, 2014
Admire over 50,000 blooming daffodils, a vibrant mosaic of roadside lupine, and rolling orchards of apple blossoms bursting into rosy color during Bayfield’s month-long celebration of Spring, the 12th Annual Bayfield in Bloom.
As the land re-awakens from it’s wintry slumber and the waters of Lake Superior come to life, Bayfield in Spring is abuzz with activity. Cruise by the historic lighthouses of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, take the Ferry to Madeline Island, and enjoy special sales on perennial and annual plants of all kinds at area orchards. Take a relaxing walk through the countryside, hike the scenic trails and cliffs along Lake Superior, or fish for dinner in the pristine, clear waters of Gichigami. Better yet, savor the Spring harvest of the Chequamegon Bay at one of Bayfield’s gourmet eateries, who carefully craft their menus to take advantage of the freshest local Spring produce.
This year’s Bayfield in Bloom events will start off in style with a live Wisconsin Public Radio show broadcast on Friday, May 16th, beginning at 11:00am. Join the studio audience as WPR brings their popular radio personality, Larry Meiller, and his “Garden Talk” show to the Bayfield Lakeside Pavilion.
In addition to Larry Meiller’s live broadcast, visitors will enjoy a “Bayfield in Bloom Garden Expo” from 9:30am – 11:00am and 12:30pm – 1:00pm at the Bayfield Lakeside Pavilion. Guests will have the opportunity to meet and speak with local horticultural experts, win Spring-themed door prizes, and choose from a variety of local garden-themed products available for purchase. Friday’s activities are free and open to the public.
If 50,000 blooming daffodils and wild lupine aren’t enough to satisfy your love of flowers, don’t miss Bayfield’s Annual Garden Tour, Saturday, June 7th and Sunday, June 8th from 10:00am to 3:00pm. On Saturday, visitors will have the opportunity to get up close and personal with the plants at eleven of Bayfield’s finest “City” gardens. Whether an amateur gardener or professional horticulturist, you are sure to enjoy the self-guided walking tours and homeowners will be on hand to answer your questions. Sunday’s event will feature the fabulous “Country” gardens and orchards of Bayfield, with over ten notable Bayfield locations participating in a memorable afternoon of tours. Come to gather design ideas or simply to marvel at the spectacular water features, flower garden arrangements, and exquisite plant varieties on display.
Spring in Bayfield is a delight for all the senses! We look forward to welcoming you.
Ongoing spring events include:
- Apostle Islands Cruises, Starting May 18th, Grand Tour departs daily at 10:00 am, (800) 323-7619
- Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Visitor Center, open Monday – Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, open daily after May 26th, (715) 779-3397
- Watch jams & jellies made daily, Bayfield Apple Company, open 9:00 am – 6:00 pm, (715) 779-5700
- Bayfield Heritage Walking Tours, Offering Historic, Ghost, Cemetery Walks and an Architect Tour. Tickets available at the Bayfield Chamber. Call (715) 779-0299 for dates and times.
- Wine tastings, Bayfield Winery, Weekends in May and daily after June 1st, (715) 779-5404 and All Sisters’ Winery, (715) 779-3274
- Madeline Island Ferry Line trips, Departs approximately hourly, 7:30am – 8:30pm, please refer to schedule for exact times, (715) 747-2051
- Summer Classes begin, Madeline Island School of the Arts, May 20th, (715) 747-2054
- Spring Sailing Charters on Lake Superior
- Shop for Blooming deals at unique shops & art galleries
- Bike, Hike, & Golf amongst the scenic beauty of Bayfield
- Self-guided garden tours at the Winfield Inn & Gardens and 14 area orchards
- 50,000 blooming daffodils and roadside touring of wildflowers and lupine