If you’re a foodie, Bayfield is the place to be during the fall season. A bevy of great restaurants and eateries awaits you with apple pies, tarts, sundaes, scones, turnovers, caramel apples and apple cider donuts that are “melt-in-your mouth” delicious. Plus, Bayfield’s fabulous fresh trout and whitefish is prepared daily just the way you like it – be it fish fries, fish boils, fish chowder, smoked trout salads or sandwiches or a delicate lemony herb sauce added to the fish of choice to touch all of your senses. And if you haven’t tried whitefish livers – you’ll want to taste them too as they have become a favorite delicacy for many fish lovers visiting Bayfield.
Bayfield boasts some of the finest restaurants in the state and they are proud to serve up local harvest foods, fresh from area farms and the lake.
- Hot Caramel Apple Cider made with locally grown and pressed apples, steamed and mixed with caramel sauce, topped with whipped cream and more caramel sauce. Served from when cider is ready into October.
- Local eggs in any of our breakfast items as well is the key ingredient to most of our bakery!
- Baked goods made with local blueberries, raspberries, and apples.
- Many varieties of apple scones are served all fall. Try one of our famously delicious scones. Melt in your mouth goodness. Scone selection changed daily.
- Smoked fish chowder served every Friday featuring Bodin’s smoked trout.
- Grilled Chicken Melt – Grilled chicken breast, swiss cheese, balsamic roasted onions and Bayfield Apple Company Apple Mustard on grilled ciabatta
- Scooterific’s Really Swell French Toast– Cinnamon raisin bread stuffed with local honey and cream cheese with banana caramel sauce, served with choice of roasted potatoes, fresh fruit, or organic greens with fig walnut vinaigrette
- Smoked Lake Trout Pate– Served on baguette slices with pickled red onions & mixed greens
- Lake Trout Rueben– From the lake out back to your sandwich. Fresh pan-fried lake trout filet on Polish rye, with Swiss, sauerkraut & 1000 Island Dressing
- Grilled Ham & Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese– Triple decker plain ol’ grilled ham & Wisconsin cheddar on whole wheat oatmeal bread
- Scrumptious pastries featuring local berries and desserts including pumpkin cheesecake, cinnamon apple bread pudding, pumpkin bread pudding, apple turnovers, beurre noisette apple muffins, caramel apple cake, and hot cocoa made with local milk
- Bayfield Special Pizza – Our signature pizza that features tart Bayfield apples, diced Canadian bacon, shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, and our own special sauce – this pizza has been mentioned in Midwest Living and Lake Superior Magazines!
- Chequamegon Greens Salad is a delicious blend of mixed organic greens, dried cranberries, candied walnuts, sliced Bayfield apples, and topped with feta cheese. Make it a Sailor Sal-ad by adding brown sugar cured Smoked Trout from Lake Superior.
- Grilled Whitefish Dinner – a fresh filet of whitefish gently seasoned and grilled, served with a medley of mixed vegetables and roasted red potatoes coated lightly with a lemon dill sauce; available in 5 oz. or 8 oz. portions
- Wood Fire Grilled Local Pork Tenderloin with Cider-Bourbon Reduction and Roasted Sweet Potato and Rutabaga Mash (get the recipe)
- Blue Cheese Bison Burger served with seared portabella and carmelized onions on a pretzel bun with a side of sweet potato fries
- Local Trout Piccata with capers and a white wine butter sauce, served with salad and bread
- Good Thyme Fish Tacos – Blackened local whitefish served with refried beans and horseradish coleslaw
- Local Butternut and Cider Bisque with Sage (get the recipe)
- Traditional Fish Boils
- Whitefish Liver appetizer – deep fried or sauteed with green peppers and onions
- Lake Superior Trout Fillet Dinner
- Walnut Breaded Trout Dinner (get the recipe)
- Whitefish Fillet and Whitefish Liver Dinners
- Locally Smoked Brown Sugar Trout Salsa with roasted red peppers and capers, served with tortilla chips
- Whitefish Livers dredged in seasoned cornmeal and sauteed with mushrooms, onions and peppers
- Maggie’s Superior Sandwich featuring Morris’ fresh Lake Trout or Whitefish, broiled or sauteed on a bun with homemade tangy tartar
- Bayfield Apple Savory Pizza made with bacon, roasted garlic, caramelized onion and aged white cheddar cheese
- Marinated Grilled Pork Porterhouse with apple chutney with locally grown green beans
- Award Winning Bayfield Apple Pie
- Whitefish Basket and Whitefish Sandwich
- Whitefish Tacos
- Locally Made Apple Brats
- Fresh Lake Superior Bayfield Trout or Whitefish Dinner prepared lightly breaded and deep-fried or broiled with white wine, served with your choice of potato, and soup or salad
- Surf ‘n Turf – Choice of fresh Lake Superior Bayfield Trout or Whitefish served deep-fried or broiled, served with an 8 oz. sirloin steak, choice of potato, and soup or salad
- Sample fall menu: Potato crusted pan-fried Red Lake walleye with a lemon dill sauce served with a cranberry almond rice medley
- Char-grilled sockeye salmon with a locally grown organic sun-gold tomato relish served with a maple apple rice medley
- Soy, ginger, and wasabi marinated fresh Lake Superior trout with a locally grown sweet corn relish served with a calico rice medley
- Sauteed shrimp and scallops in olive oil and garlic with locally grown organic cherry tomatoes, yellow squash, broccoli, and spinach tossed with rainbow rotini
- Whole roasted bone-in prime rib of pork with Erickson’s apple cider brandy sauce served with garlic mashed potatoes
- Char-grilled fresh local trout with a locally grown organic sun gold tomato and dill sauce served with a creamy parmesan risotto
- Pan seared fresh sea scallops with a Bayfield fruit salsa
- Sample Fall Menu: Simply done Whitefish or Trout served over a bed of wild rice & seasonal vegetables (with champagne beurre-blanc optional)
- Pork Osso Buco ~ slow braised seasoned pork shank served over spaetzle in a mustard jus with a hint of sauerkraut
- Fire Roasted Vegetable Lasagna
- Herb-Rubbed Duck Breast served medium rare over wild rice with a cherry & sage sauce
- 1/2lb grass fed Pub Burger with your choice of caramelized onions, cheddar or gruyere cheese
- Soups: Buttercup Squash Puree with balsamic syrup and pepitas
- Pumpkin Maple Ginger Cream is a blend of harvest pumpkin, fresh ginger, cloves, nutmeg, fennel, maple syrup and fresh cream
- Lake Superior Chowder made from local whitefish and trout, clams, potatoes, herbs, and a mirepoix of carrots, celery and onion all simmered in a sweet cream broth
- White Bean Potage is white beans simmered with parsnips, celery, onions and Bayfield leeks, accompanied by crumbled bacon and fresh chives
- Salads: Smoked Duck Breast with mixed greens, shaved chocolate, goat cheese, and a Bayfield dried cherry vinaigrette
- Smoked Lake Superior Trout tossed with red onions and aged Wisconsin cheddar, served with creamy horseradish dressing and mesclun greens tossed with a lemon vinaigrette
- Entrées: Beef Short ribs braised with dried black mission figs and dried Turkish apricots in a hearty demi glace served with soft coarse-ground polenta
- Boneless breast of duck pan-seared with a port, maple syrup, and wild Bayfield plum demi glace, served with wild rice pilaf and buttered cabbage
- Grilled local Bison strip steak with a truffle and mushroom ragout and roasted sweet potato mashers
- Lake Superior Trout stuffed with jumbo lump crab meat, broiled and topped with hollandaise sauce
- Grilled Lake Superior Trout with a roasted heirloom tomato Provencal style sauce and wild rice
- Local Morningstar Farm Lamb Shanks braised until fork tender and served with soft polenta and a red wine reduction demi glace
- Roasted Jack-be-Little Pumpkin stuffed with saffron-pumpkin risotto garnished with apple cider reduction, braised chard, and exotic mushrooms
- Desserts: Panna Cotta with Wild Plum Sauce from local apple granita and almond Florentina cookie
- Rum Baba with Vanilla Poached Bayfield Apple and mulled cider reduction sauce
- Northern Greening Apple Pie with Tetzner’s aged cheddar
- Warm Plum Kuchen with fresh plums, plum sauce and vanilla ice cream
- Wisconsin Cheese Pie with Bayfield apple cider marmalade glaze
- Apple Cider Marmalade, Swiss Pear Marmalade, Cranberry Orange Relish, Onion Dill Bread, Wild Rice Bread and Cranberry, Apple, Plum and Pear Sorbets
- Local Caught Whitefish Fish & Chips
- Smoked Whitefish Sandwich
- Whitefish Tacos
- Main Courses: Wood Fire Grilled Northstar Wisconsin Bison Filet – soft aged asiago polenta, roasted Bayfield pear, short rib-stuffed piquillo, braised spinach.
- Popped Wild Rice Crusted Lake Trout – roasted squash, Bayfield apples and cider syrup
- Desserts: Zucchini-Bayfield Apple Cake – brown sugar glaze, homemade buttermilk ice cream
- Three Bayfield Apple Tarte Tatin – whipped Bayfield honey-rosemary creme fraiche
- All menu/food items based on product availability.