Bayfield Chamber and Visitor Bureau

Welcome to Bayfield, WI | Apostle Island Dog Sledding | Lake Superior | Vacation in Wisconsin

Sign Up for Exclusive Offers & News

Share your Bayfield story

Congratulations to our most recent Bayfield Getaway Package Winner, Carma from La Crosse, WI! Carma won 2 nights lodging in downtown Bayfield, tickets to Big Top Chautauqua, a round trip Madeline Island Ferry Pass, and 2 tickets for the Apostle Islands Cruise Service “Grand Tour”.

Here is your chance to win a free getaway package to Bayfield by sharing one of the highlights of your recent trip by submiting your story using the form below

Perhaps you discovered a sandy warm beach, or had a fabulous meal at one of the Bayfield area restaurants. You may have delighted in picking berries at one of the orchards surrounding Bayfield, or happened to see a bald eagle flying over the lake; taken in a spectacular sunset or kayaked to the Lake Superior sea caves along the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore and enjoyed the breathtaking beauty.

Whatever the highlight of your trip, we want you to share it with others who may be planning a trip to Bayfield.

79 Bayfield Stories

• Beckie Anderson - Golden Valley, MN says:

Have you ever tried the winebread from the Candy Shoppe? A cream cheese & fruit filling in a danish type of pastry – we got raspberry – frosted/drizzled & sprinkled finely with nuts. Wow! Why we wonder is it called winebread? Tasty! Thats why.

• Donna Graham - Golden Valley, MN says:

I just felt like I was able to relax and absorb all the beauty and splendor of the area. I loved the calming water & bright moonlit lake at night. On the island you feel like you’re in another world.

• John Marenson - Eau Claire, WI says:

For our short-but-sweet honeymoon we spent several nights at Lucy’s Place. The innkeepers made us feel right at home, from the home cooked breakfast featuring locally grown fruit, to the calico cat who curled up on my lap as soon as I sat on the porch swing. We had a beast at the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band concert at Big Top – what could be better than a summer evening spent listening to great bluegreass, while the fireflies provide nature’s light show? We look forward to a return trip.

• Lloyd Richardson - Maple Grove, MN says:

We have been to Bayfield 2 times in 10 years. We just had to come back. On this trip it was a little overcast and dark rain clouds, but as we were driving up Manypenny land I saw what I thought was a big buck deer in the trees. I got out but didn’t see him where I thought he was. Just then a ray of sunshine came down into the pines and this beautiful buck stood up and posed for a picture. The sun disappered and the buck faded away.

• Ruth Anderson - Champaign, IL says:

We bought sweet cherries from the Appple Hill orchard and smoked fish from one of the local fish stores. With those two (plus some local fresh bread) we had our picnic lunch in the park by the lake – relaxing on a beautiful sunny day – watching the cruise & ferry boats on their journeys. Delighful! Delicious!!

• Linda A. - St. James, MO says:

When we arrived and saw the charming town of Bayfield, the sailboats, Lake Superior, we instantly decided, “We’re staying longer!” Our accommodations were with the Bayfield Inn, staying at the lovely Garden Guest House. We enjoyed coffee on the deck every morning while taking in the view of the Lake. Ethel’s at 250 served delicious pizza, homemade lasagna, and warm apple pie! The ferry took us to Madeline Island where we explored Big Bay State Park, its rugged shoreline and quiet beaches. Hauser’s Superior View Farm offered samples of their apples wine and fresh apples. We browsed through unique shops and galleries, and drove along the coast of Lake Superior, simply enjoying the beautiful fall colors. Everyone we met was very friendly and helpful. Our fist trip to Wisconsin was so delightful and relaxing. We cannot wait to return!

• Ed & Ellie K. - Whitewater, WI says:

Staying at the Thimbleberry Inn in early October was delightful. It was my husband’s first bed and breakfast experience and now he is spoiled for life. We really enjoyed the lovely Inn’s spectacular location on the shore of Lake Superior and the Locey’s great hospitality. Sharon’s warm morning muffins and coffee followed by her delicious full breakfast can’t be beat. We enjoyed getting to know Sharon and Craig and learn about the Bayfield area. We hope to be back soon for another visit.

• Michele C. - Anna Maria, FL says:

For several years, my boyfriend Michael has been trying to get me to more from Florida to Minnesota. I have spent several summers in Bayfield camping and kayaking which was great. But the winter, in my view, unfit for humans has long been an obstacle. Last February however, he took me to Bayfield for a “romantic” winter weekend. Contrarily to my expectation, the beauty of Bayfield’s glacial blues was entrancing. It was truly magical, and I can’t wait to come back this winter. We went to the ice cave, hiked out to Sand Island, drove to Madeline Island, had breakfast at Lotta’s, dinner at Maggie’s and relaxed in sweet little condo near the water. What a great experience.

• Rusty R. - Mt. Horeb, WI says:

Craig & Sharon Locey are gracious and welcoming hosts at the Thimbleberry Inn B7B. Craig knows all the beautiful, quiet walks, beaches and Sharon is a gourmet cook. With fun and charming personalities, they share their darling setting with a host of fun furry and feathered friends, and all make your stay an exceptionally personal experience.

• S.W. - Chisago City, MN says:

We stayed at the Thimbleberry Inn Bed & Breakfast. The view across Lake Superior to Basswood and Oak Islands is one of the most beautiful views I have ever seen. An immature fox came onto the walkway outside our room this morning as I was watching the sunrise. I then had coffee and muffins at a private outdoor seating area at the top edge of the cliff. Truly relaxing!

• Lisa M. - Edgerton, WI says:

Bayfield area businesses donated gift certificates to WPT auction spring of 2009. I won the bid for the Bayfield eco/green vacations. We spent two nights at Pinehurst Inn B&B, paddled along the sea caves (compliments to Living Adventures) and ate (twice) at Ethels 250, because it was so good. We also took in Big Top Chataqua’s Riding in the Wind. It had been almost 20 years since I had been to Bayfield. Thanks to the promotional package, it has renewed my interest in returning soon.

• Craig P. - Roseville, MN says:

Staying at a B&B right on Lake Superior was incredibly relaxing. We enjoyed the local restaurants, shops, as well as taking the ferry across to Madeline Island. Bayfield is beautiful and we hope to come back in the future to explore more of what it has to offer.

• Kelly V. - St. Paul, MN says:

Thimbleberry is such a wonderful place. This was my first visit but would love to come back again. Enjoyed the Haunted Ghost Tour, Virginia was a great tour guide and I learned a lot of history of Bayfield.

• Martha J. - Minneapolis, MN says:

The best part of our weekend in Bayfield was dinner at the “Wild Rice.” It’s a fabulous restaurant and a credit to the whole Bayfield community to have a restaurant of that caliber her. Thanks for a great weekend.

• Barb B. - Marshfield, WI says:

What appealed to me the most was the combination of its expansive natural setting, plentiful ways to be engaged, and still it maintains an intimate setting.

Submit your Story

Complete the form below and you will be eligible for a getaway package drawing held this fall.

• We reserve the right to use all, part, or none of your submission. By submitting, you consent to receive email from the Bayfield Chamber of Commerce & Visitor Bureau.