“The best thing about a sled dog race is that you can feel the excitement in the air!” says John Thiel of Wolfsong Adventures in Mushing. “The dogs love it, the mushers love it, the volunteers love it and all that energy ignites the crowd.”
You can be an active part of our sled dog race by volunteering in any one of a number of race positions. No experience is necessary – we will train you!
Volunteer duties include:
- Dog and Chute Handlers –We need 30 people or more each day to assist the mushers with getting teams from the parking areas to the chute and to assist them at the finish line. Chute handlers will assist with loading dog teams into the chute and retrieving the next team.
- Check Point Volunteers – People at several points throughout the race to communicate via radio with officials at Headquarters regarding teams’ progress
- Parking – Assistance needed on both Saturday and Sunday, prior to and during start of race.
- Low Impact – If you would like to volunteer, but would rather stay on the sidelines, you can help out with volunteer check-in, at the merchandise table or at the information table.
You don’t need to commit to the whole weekend to help out. Volunteers can specify the times that they are available; Saturday or Sunday, all day or mornings only – tell us what you can do and we will find you a job! Groups are encouraged and welcomed (perfect for college kids looking for volunteer experience).
* Please note: All volunteers must be 18 years of age or older.