Ready & Open
As you plan your visit to Bayfield and the Apostle Islands, please follow county health recommendations and know what to expect. The safety of our visitors, employees, and community remains our top priority.
The Bayfield County Public Health recommends the following when traveling:
A. Check with local communities for area specific safety updates and closures.
B. Check with local business or events you plan on attending in advance for updated changes in operation or new safety protocols in place.
C. Respect local businesses and other patrons by following their safety protocols when visiting their establishments.
D. Practice enhanced personal hygiene including: a. frequent hand washing b. wearing a mask when in public c. using hand sanitizer when hand washing is not available d. disinfect frequently touched surfaces often
E. Do not travel when you or someone in your household is ill or exhibiting any symptoms of COVID-19.
F. Limit non-essential trips and limit the number of people participating in errands.
G. Consider limitations in facilities (i.e. restrooms, handwashing stations) open to public during this time and plan accordingly.
H. Continue to practice physical distancing and maintain 6’ from others whenever possible.
I. Keep track of places you visit while traveling in case an outbreak in that area occurs or you become ill and need to provide that information to health officials. One way to do this is with photos.
J. Avoid crowds and crowded areas when possible.
What to Expect
- Be patient and stay kind–we are truly all in this together.
- Plan your itinerary ahead of time
- Book your lodging in advance: bayfield.org/stay
- Bring a facemask. Most businesses are requiring them.
- The Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is open for day-use only. Take in the views while social distancing.
- Many retailers are open with limited capacity. Be kind, be patient, and enjoy the beauty of the area while you wait!
- Lodging establishments are modifying their procedures to prioritize your comfort and safety.
- Outdoor dining will fill up quickly–avoid the wait and order to-go
- Madeline Island Ferry Line requires masks in the terminal building and on-board if you are not in your vehicle.
- Call your favorite campground beforehand. Not all are open at this time. Apostle Islands Area Campground and Little Sand Bay is ready & open, National Lakeshore camping on the islands is NOT available.
Bayfield is working on being READY & OPEN. As some businesses begin to open again, please note that many services are limited. Be prepared. Bring your own masks, sanitizer, wipes, and even garbage bags if there aren’t trash cans at the beach/park/trailhead where you are recreating. Remember to be patient and stay kind–we are truly all in this together.